Print this Page
Have talking points at your fingertips during your consultation with your surgeon.
Bookmark this Page
Researching your procedure? Add this page to your bookmark list for future browsing.
Email to a Friend
Know someone else who might benefit from this information? Send them a link using our handy form.
Homeopathic and Vitamin Supplements
Homeopathic and vitamin supplements are becoming more and more popular. After having looked at these "natural" therapies, we have concluded that many patients who have taken these remedies appear to heal more quickly and with less bruising. We have seen no harm from taking any of these products.
Below, are some recommendations if you would like to follow such a protocol.
Please DO NOT TAKE Aspirin, Ibuprofen (i.e. Motrin, Advil, Aleve, etc.), Vitamin E, Garlic pills, Gingko, Feverfew or St. John's Wort, two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Tylenol is acceptable.
Surgery is an insult to the body. The stress of even minor surgery lowers vitamin levels producing physiological changes on the body requiring extra energy for the body to mend itself. It is essential to maintain good nutrition pre and post operative . Optimum diet and basic supplements with Vitamins B, C, Ca + , Mg, Beta carotene and zinc, are essential for optimal healing.
Pre-operative: start two weeks prior to surgery.
- Vitamin C 500 mg. -4 times a day with meals. Vitamin 8-6 100mg. -2 times a day.
- Beta Carotene 25,000 IU -2 times a day with meals.
- Arnica Montana 30C -5 pellets 3 times a day (place under tongue). This will alleviate post-op bruising. Do not touch pellets with hands. Do not eat or drink 15 minutes before or after taking Arnica.
Post-Operative: once you are tolerating oral food and drink.
- Tylenol Extra Strength -2 tablets morning, noon and night, regardless of how you feel.
- Bromelain 500 mg. -take 3 times a day, between meals. This is a digestive enzyme, that alleviates swelling and pain.