Print this Page
Have talking points at your fingertips during your consultation with your surgeon.
Bookmark this Page
Researching your procedure? Add this page to your bookmark list for future browsing.
Email to a Friend
Know someone else who might benefit from this information? Send them a link using our handy form.
Having to deal with breast cancer, a mastectomy, and breast reconstruction can be a daunting experience. The resources below should prove helpful to women who are looking for a full range of information so that they can make decisions that are right for them.
You may want to visit the following Web sites:
- One excellent site run by women who have had a mastectomy and DIEP flap breast reconstruction is www.diepsisters.com. It is an excellent source of information and many women on this site have been willing to share candid details about their experience.
- Federal law requires an insurance carrier to provide coverage for breast reconstruction following a mastectomy and surgery on the other breast to achieve symmetry. Click here to read the statute.
- The American Association of Plastic Surgeons maintains on their Web site links to the various state laws. New York and many, many other states require reconstruction of the breast to be a covered expense by the insurance carrier. Click here to find out what your state provides.
- Forums and discussion boards such as: Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Breastcancer.org, National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. (NBCF), Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC), and Pink Link.
Books on the topic of breast reconstruction that I have found helpful are:
- Bonner, Dede, The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer, New York: Fireside: A Division of Simon and Schuster,Inc. 2008.
This book is written in an easy to read question and answer format. Multiple experts in their respective fields including myself were interviewed by Dr. Bonner for this book. The author has taken the information, digested it, and presented it in a straightforward and understandable way.
- Sell, Collen, A Cup of Comfort for Breast Cancer Survivors, Avon, MA: Adams Media, an F+W Publications Company, 2008.
This book contains a group of inspiring stories of courage and triumph written by patients who have had breast cancer. Jeanne, one of my patients, describes her journey in this book.
- Steligo, Kathy, The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook: Issues and Answers from Research To Recovery, San Carlos, CA: Carlo Press, 2003.
While this book is a little dated, it does provide some very basic answers specifically about breast reconstruction.
What People Are Saying
Read an article from Mamm Magazine that gives an overview of the benefits of the DIEP flap technique.